What is the LRA doing?
- Eurasian Milfoil - First found in Lake Rescue in 1998, LRA launched an aggressive program to remove the milfoil and annual monitoring has kept the lake milfoil free since 2003.
- Lay Monitoring of Water Quality - Since 2005 Lake Rescue volunteers have monitored Lake Rescue for nutrients and signs of eutrophication under the VT State Lay Monitoring program. Water quality summaries for Pauline and Lake Rescue are online and indicate good overall water quality.
- Better Backroads - Through a series of grants written by LRA members, the Town of Ludlow has secured project funding to reduce road runoff.
- Environmental Education - In 2011, the LRA published a booklet entitled "So You Live on a Lake" for the benefit of everyone who utilizes the lakes district. The booklet publication was under written by Mary Davis Reality.
- Watershed Grants - The Vermont Agency of Natural Resources has supported LRA projects since 2001 through Watershed Grants.
- Geomorphic Survey - In 2009, LRA led an effort under the auspices of Southern Windsor County Regional Planning Commission (SWCRPC) whereby a study was conducted of the upstream watershed of Lake Rescue and the impacts of historical land use on our lakes. The Executive Summary is available for download.
- As a follow-up to the Geomorphic Survey, in 2011 the LRA commissioned a sediment coring study to profile the historical sedimentation rate in the lake. A report is expected in January, 2012 from Dr Lini, University of Vermont geology professor.